7.22.2011

CS 5.5

I discovered something today that grinds my gears. As much a I love Adobe products, I stumbled accross a software decision that is more that just a little bit annoying. I use Adobe CS5 at work every single day. When I heard about the the release of CS5.5 I was a bit confused. After briefly looking at the specs, it seemed like it was just CS5 with a few more tools, brushes and plug-ins. (especially in indesign — for ePub design)  I later discovered that an inDesign CS5.5 file cannot be opened with CS5. Since CS5 is far more popular (and the current industry standard) I find this annoying. I would expect this sort of thing from Apple, but not you Adobe. Luckily, there is a work around. (as with most things) You can same the CS5.5 document as an inDesign Markup file. (.idml) About half the time you have to re-link all of your images and fonts, but at least it works.


I just had to rant. Really all that I am trying to say is don't spend the extra money to get CS5.5. Stick with the equally-useful but more compatible CS5 unless you have a specific reason for needing the few new features in 5.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment